Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Doing my Pat Conroy Dance

Currently Reading: The Lords of Discipline

Wow, the profanity is rampant thus far. The book focuses on a South Carolina Military Institute that "makes maggots into men," etc. Pat can always take human suffering to a whole new level - his descriptions of the degradations and creative torments (that I'm sure all have a basis in truth) are astonishing and horrifying. I have no doubt that this type of treatment exists in these types of schools. I've heard people joke about "plebe" week/month/year before but I guess they have to repress the memories of how awful it truly was or, to the point that Pat makes, once they survive it, they become a part of the "the system" and embrace the madness.

As I have mentioned in prior PC posts - our main character, Will McLean, is a replica of Leo (South of Broad), Jack (Beach Music) and Tom (Prince of Tides) - all emotionally damaged men with a penchant to lash out due to an innate inability to express all of their inner torments. What I do love about these men though is that they see beauty and culture and would wrap themselves in a blanket of it but they all have that edge, that dark edge, that keeps them from the possibility of ever being fully happy.

As with other PC books, the story takes place in the Southland - Charleston, SC to be exact - and makes the reader jealous to not be from this mythical place that Pat creates. I've never been to most of the places he sets his stories in but I'm afraid that even when I go, I won't see it through these character's eyes and I can never as fully be in love with a place as he maintains someone can be.

I'm only half way through right now, can't wait to see where we go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment